Monday, April 19, 2010

Well. . . . it was crazy!








So, it started out on this pavement in the middle of nowhere. After about 2 miles, it turned into broken up asphalt and then pure rocks. There were crazy hills and a lot of other obstacles. My time was really sad (like almost an hour behind where I wanted to be) but I had fun and did my first marathon! It was a really small race and was hard to stay motivated because I was running along side people from the 50 mile and 100 mile race (and they were moving really slow!) Also, my knees started locking up and I was scared about twisting my ankle over all of the rocks (if I had known that the terrain was like this, I would have worn trail running shoes.) Out of the 21 women in the marathon, I came in 6th- so at least I can say that I stayed up with most people even though it was so crazy! Oh and the best part was the end. See the girl in right in front of me in the last picture? Well, I sprinted to the finish line and ended up beating her by 1 second (which put me 2nd in my age range.) The announcers were all going crazy because the girl saw me coming and started sprinting as well. It was the most excitement the spectators had seen in quite awhile :) So, at least I still had my competitive streak even after 26.2 miles of hard work!!

10 comments:

  1. Yeah! Your a marathoner! Congratulations. Sounds like a hard course with broken asphalt and rocks? Smaller groups are hard to keep the motivation up for that far but you did it. Good for you and way to finish strong, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Work!! 6th Place is pretty amazing especially since is was such a rough coarse!! Rock on lady!! Doesn't feel good to have one behind the belt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that was me Sarah under my husband's Google account...FYI

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO AWESOME! I want to be just like you when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! I am jealous. Work well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys! I'm totally doing another one in the fall. I won't be wandering in the mountains this time though. Maybe Rock and Roll Denver? Anyone want to do it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I might be game for the Rock and Roll in Denver. Although the thought of a marathon still scares me.

    You are amazing! 2nd in your age group! And I'd expect nothing less from you in chasing down that runner at the end. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are awesome Amber!! I would have been suprised if you lost your competative spirit at the end.

    ReplyDelete