Saturday, April 10, 2010

I almost TOTALLY gave up!

So yesterday I had it in the back of my mind I wanted to go 16 miles. So I put on my semi spring clothes, filled up my water belt, brought some shot blocks and thought, ok I have time so lets make the best of it. After only 2 MILES INTO MY RUN, I thought I was going to die... I was up by the Thomas reservoir so I decided to lose one of my shirts, I tied it to a bench. Started running again, nope still felt horrid... so then I stopped started eating my shot bloks had a couple drinks of water and thought to myself, this is not my day, I should just quit, or only go like 6 miles and go for 16 tomorrow, technically I have an extra week before I needed to do the 16 so really I could put it off another week.... all these things were running through my head. So then I decide to take one last drink of my water and ditch the belt entirely into a bush that I can come back and retrieve later. I adjust my shuffle so that it feels comfortable, start my playlist over and head out thinking who knows what will happen but I am just gonna run for a while. I feel 100% better, literally and I finish my 16! I have decided that I HATE my water belt.

From now on I will just plant water on my long runs. but p.s. as I made my way over to sheridan on the east side of vista ridge there is a bathroom and water jug on the golf course that is right next to the trail.... I am pretty sure the lock on the girls bathroom is broken so FYI, that is a good place to refuel and use the restroom. Just watch out for flying golf balls =)

Anyways, this story doesn't sound nearly as good when I am typing as it did in my head while I was running. I was thinking, this will be a good post about how I totally almost gave up and then didn't and blah blah blah!! oh well, what are ya gonna do. Things probably always seem a little more dramatic when your heart is pumping strong and steady for 16 miles!

6 comments:

  1. 16 is awesome! Yeah for you Jen! Okay, now I will head out for my run....I've been stalling for an hour cause I need to paint my room instead. It's funny sometimes (or not so funny) that the hardest miles are sometimes the first 2 or 3. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I just got back from my run and wanted to say THANK YOU for posting this. I read it right before and I didn't want to run but since you did I felt I needed to and I did and now I feel better. We help each other people so remember to post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you Jen! Did you decide to do the Marathon instead of the 1/2? Why are you running 16 miles???? (I think I'm just jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did 11 yesterday and thought I was going to die, I think I used one of my 9 lives. Anyway, you are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am only doing this 1/2 this time but I am following a plan that has a long and short program. The long is for someone who is planning on doing a Marathon in the near future. But I really like this plan, has lots of good stuff on it if anyone is looking for something. I am doing a long/short combo. Anyways it has you run 16 even if you are only doing the 1/2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that contributes to the runners high - the sense of accomplishment when the odds were against you. YOU GO GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete