Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Shoes are VERY important

hi, I just wanted to add thoughts on shoes.... Adrienne is totally right when she says you need to go to a good running store, and try them out on the treadmill. Here is a perfect example of why.

As most of you know I was training for the Disney marathon last fall. I ran into a major IT band issue. Did all kinds of work on it, never really seemed to go away. I was running in a full support shoe because even on the treadmill with that shoe, my feet looked ok, with a very Very small pronation in my left leg. (But my IT problem was my right leg... so just know even though they are two different legs they are all connected!) Then one day, I went to the boulder running company (I also am a HUGE fan of Solepepper sports) to talk about clothes to wear during the marathon and ended up spending over an hour trying on shoes and trying each one out on the treadmill! Just so happens the super support shoes I kept buying were actually contributing to my problem. I have wide feet and need them to be able to flatten out when they run. So I now run in something that support where I need it and not where I don't. The first time I took those shoes home and tried them out..... 6 miles, no problem.....10 miles no problem...... MARATHON NO IT BAND PROBLEM...... also, Not a HINT of an IT problem since.

So I guess I would recommend going to the store when you will not feel rushed. Go by yourself maybe so you don't have kids or husbands wondering what is taking so long, talk to the person who is helping you about your running style. Take your time and don't feel bad if you make several trips over to the treadmill to try them out..... find a shoe that is Good for you, not just fine for you. It could make a big difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment