Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Tip of the day: MAXIMIZE IN 45!

Wahoo we have a blog! Yeah! Thanks Tara. So a lot of us are starting out the new year with New Year's resolutions and one of the most important parts of working out and getting prepared for our race is nutrition! Don't overlook this. Maximize in 45! If I've heard this once, I've heard it a million times. After your run be sure to get a good balance of protein and carbs in your body within 45 minutes of your run or workout. Sooner is better. Why? It helps your body to not only keep your metabolism going, burning more calories, but it also helps your body to rebuild and be ready for tomorrow's workout. You don't have to eat a ton. For me it's about 100 calories of something, usually 1/2 a protein bar (depending on what kind), a handful of nuts, banana, 1/3 of a protein shake (my kids take over the rest) and a whole shake is too many calories for me. Since I'm a gym rat I keep stuff in my gym bag and eat it right after my workout. Waiting until I get home takes too long. What do you eat after your workout?
Adrienne

6 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! I have to say that I have never heard Maximize in 45. Am I just completely in the dark? Maybe I do need to join a gym and get a personal trainer. Keep the tips coming! ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously so important when you are wanting to improve performance. The other thing I would add is WATER WATER WATER. With that snack drink at least 16-20 oz.
    1 oz of Cheese or 1/2 an English muffin with a little peanut butter are a few more good options.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my fav's (aside from my usual shake), is a (low fat)string cheese and 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce - YUM! It's about 150 calories. I'm also infatuated with the Double Dark Chocolate Zone Bars as snacks (they are 190 cals)... get's my chocolate fix in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The kids brownie cliff bars are super good too-120 calories! I like the other food options suggested, I'm bored with what I eat. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan,
    Tell me again what is in your shake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Cliff Energy granola bar things. They are 130 calories and taste scrumptious. I like Chocolate chip the best. They don't have as many calories as an entire cliff bar but they have a lot of good stuff in them... I think....

    ReplyDelete